Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Let's Play Mega Man X Review


I've finally finished. I originally intended this Let's Play to be a quick run through of the game, but I forgot talking while playing is a heck of a lot more challenging than simply playing the game. Without any talking, it could've been a very short play, but also very boring.

Mega Man X is so fun because it is a very simple, fast paced game with excellent execution. The game fits very well with the kind of player who wants to go through a level as fast as possible; any backtracking results in enemy respawns, and a dash is given right at the "beginning" of the game. The inclusion of things like lives is really only so the game can have some extra longevity. Lives are simply a way of making the player play slower/more cautiously or go back track to get more lives in order to avoid a game over, but it doesn't actually make the game any harder or longer (<- Insert Joke).

Now even though I'm the kind of person who prefers games have strong plots, something about the charm of a robot/dude with a gun strapped to his arm makes me overlook the fact that no characters are named, why taking out any of the bosses matters, or how any of this happened. We've got some shooting to do, no time for things like reading!

Something else nice about this game, as compared to the later games of the series, is that, by and large, the bosses tended to make some kind of sense. An Armored Armadillo in a cave, yea I can see that. A Octopus that Launches torpedos, makes sense to me. A Mammoth that shoots flames and lives in some kind of lava infested oil refinery/junkyard factory.... As the series progressed, things started to make a lot less sense.

I'd say if there is anything I don't like about the game, its the Lightsaber Sigma boss at the end of the game. Probably the most mindlessly challenging fight in Mega Man X, and maybe the entire series. I feel like they didn't even want to try by that point. They just figured "hey, we got to make this final stage harder, lets add this guy". I don't regret using the hadouken.

This let's play was fun. I'll be starting another one very soon, on a very different game.

No comments:

Post a Comment